Thursday 13 March 2008

Letter home from the trenches

Dear Mother and Big Joe,
I hope this finds you well. I want to tell you that I miss you both terribly. And Molly too. I hope her and the baby are doing well. I long to be home. I can't stand this place much longer. I dream of being warm, dry and above all safe. Charlie looks after me though, and I feel better just knowing he's here with me. If people back home knew what it was like here, they wouldn't be so quick to join up or wave us off. The trenches are appalling, we live side by side with the rats and lice crawl over our bodies all day. The whizzbangs fly over our head almost constantly and every time I hear one I think my days are numbered. I just want this blasted War to be over so we can be together again as a family, in peace. It feels like that day will never come.

Apart from the rats, lice and and a few nutter lieutenants it isn't all bad. There are times when the shelling stops and the rain dries up and we can have a laugh and a cup of hot tea. It's times like that I forget this insane War and realise the comradeship and courage that I am only a very small part of.

Anyway, I must be off, there's still drilling to be done. Give my love to everyone. I'll be back before you know it.

All my love, Tommo xxx

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey I would just like to say thanks.
This really helped me in my history project and I couldn't of done it without you :D

Unknown said...

Thankyou. this helped me a lot on my homework!

Unknown said...

Thank you so much!!!!!!!!! this helped me a lot 😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀😀

Unknown said...

cock

Unknown said...

this helped with my exam

Unknown said...

thanks so much this honestly helped me so much with my work.x:)

Sophie said...

Thank you hon. This helped me a lot. Always remember your a great writer! I love you so much for writing this. Because of you I passed my exam! Love you. :)

Sophie said...

I just wanted to say thanks babe. I know i already thanked you, but i just love you a lot. Never let anyone be rude to you. Because you are beautiful and cute. Thank you, thank you, thank you sweethart. Lots of love from Sophie (luv u babe)